Want to download an interesting GIF from Twitter to your mobile device? It’s not surprising to know that you can’t save GIFs directly from Twitter to Android, iPhone, or your computer.
Unlike other websites where you can easily and directly save GIF files, Twitter does not allow you to right-click a GIF animation.
However, if you still need to download your favorite GIF file, this article is for you.
What Is a GIF?
In Twitter accounts; it’s really hard for users to express themselves properly in 140 characters, and even in 280 characters.
As a result, users use GIFs in their tweets. And no one can deny that GIFs are so much fun.
Because of these features, GIFs are mostly used on Twitter.
However, there is a problem with using GIFs on Twitter. The service does not allow you to download GIFs to your phone or PC.
I can’t remember how many times I tried to download GIFs to my Twitter account and failed.
Why Can’t You Save GIFs from Twitter?
Before we download GIFs, let’s understand why we can’t download GIFs naturally from Twitter.
The reason is very simple. We can’t download GIFs from Twitter because they are not GIFs in any way.
Surprised? Don’t worry, I was surprised when I first found out.
Yes, they are technically not GIFs, because when you upload them, Twitter converts them to MP4.
Twitter has an important advantage in doing so:
GIFs cannot be compressed like an MP4 would do.
Converting GIFs to MP4 allows the file to be compressed and uploaded faster on Twitter. At the same time, users can pause while watching or listening to MP4s, and cannot do so with GIFs.
Because it takes up less space and is well controlled, Twitter converts GIFs to MP4. Therefore, you cannot download GIFs from Twitter because technically they are video files, not GIFs.
How to Download (Save) GIFs from Twitter to iPhone
If you are an iPhone user, then these easy steps will help you a lot to download GIFs from Twitter to an iPhone.
There are two methods to do this. Both methods are easy to understand.
The First Method
This method includes a third-party application for saving a GIF from Twitter to an iPhone.
So just follow the steps and save your favorite GIF file from Twitter to your iPhone.
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- Download GIFwrapped application on your device.
- Now go to the GIF file you need to download.
- There you will see an arrow icon next to the GIF file. Just tap on it.
- You will then see a link to the GIF file. Select this link and copy it.
- The first time you start the application, you will see that it is the internal browser. You only need to paste the link you copied in step two.
- It will then start downloading GIFs from Twitter. You can save the downloaded GIF file by tapping the button in the upper left corner of the application.
The Second Method
The second method of downloading any GIF file from Twitter to your iPhone is the Twitter++ application.
- First of all, download Twitter ++ on your iPhone. You will need to download this app from Cydia. If your device is jailbroken one, you can easily install Cydia on your iPhone and then install Twitter++.
- You will also need to pay $9.99 a year to use the third-party app if your phone isn’t jailbroken and you still need to download the Twitter++ app.
- Now run the Twitter application on the iPhone. Log in to your Twitter account and navigate to the GIF file you’d like to download to your iPhone.
- There you will see 3 horizontal points. Tap and select Download GIF from the options provided.
- That’s it. The GIF file will be downloaded to your phone. You can find the GIF file you downloaded in Gallery.
How to Download (Save) GIFs from Twitter to Android
Just like iPhone smartphones, Android smartphones and tablets need a third-party application to download GIFs from Twitter.
- Open the Twitter app on your Android device to download GIFs from Twitter to your Android device using the Tweet2GIF app.
- Now navigate to the GIF file you want to download and tap the arrow icon in the upper right corner of the GIF file you want to download.
- So, you will see some options. Tap Copy Link from here. So, you copied the link to the GIF file on your clipboard.
- Now go to Play Store and install Tweet2GIF on your Android device.
- Launch Tweet2GIF and paste the link you copied in step 3 and tap the Download GIF button.
- You can see the downloaded GIF files in the Gallery.
How to Download (Save) GIFs from Twitter to PC
If you want to download GIF from Twitter to your Windows computer or laptop, then this guide is for you.
You can download GIFs from Twitter in a few steps. There are two steps to download GIF from Twitter.
You will first download the GIF from Twitter in MP4 format and then convert it to GIF file format.
For this reason, let’s first explain how to download GIF from Twitter in MP4 format.
- The first thing to do is to open your Twitter account from the browser and go to the GIF file you want to download.
- Now copy the link to the GIF file.
- Then go to https://savedeo.com/sites/twitter in your browser.
- It will open the Savedeo website, which helps you download GIF in mp4 format from Twitter.
- Thus, paste the link in the provided text box and click the download button.
- GIF to be downloaded in mp4 format.
Convert MP4 to GIF
Now that you have a GIF file in video format, it’s time to convert it to GIF file format.
- This time you need to go to http://ezgif.com/video-to-gif.
- Here, upload the downloaded mp4 file in the previous section and click the Convert to GIF button. You can also specify options if you need them.
- This will successfully convert the video to GIF format.