Your Twitter name & handle is like your ID, and you should wear it with dignity. However, as time passes, we and our interests may change significantly. It is completely normal for you to change your Twitter name.
Perhaps you have entered a new job, and you are trying to hide your cringy and frustrated posts from your colleagues and employer.
As a result, one can ask themselves the question: Can I change my Twitter name and handle?
It is very easy to do. However, there are some things to keep in mind when changing the Twitter handle. If you are not careful enough when changing, you can even destroy your account.
Anything can happen, and it won’t display a good view in any sense. All of your information may get lost during this process if you don’t play your cards right. Hence, you should be careful.
Well, I’m not saying I ruined my account, but if you’re sure about changing your identity on Twitter, you can follow our little guide below to do it without fuss.
Can You Change Your Twitter Handle?
Changing your old Twitter name to clever and cool Twitter names is a good way to bring yourself back to the world. It’s like turning a new page in your life, but you’re not actually opening a new page.
It can save you from many headaches and bad mouth from people you know in real life. We don’t want this to happen, but it is what it is and bad things may happen in life.
After you change Twitter @, all your posts on your profile will appear with your new ID. Of course, the latest tweets you send will be shown with your new username.
Last but not least, you can change your username at any device and operating systems, like iPhone, iOS, and Android. The same is true for PC too.
If you’re ready to continue, let’s look at the Twitter username change function.
- Step 1) Log in to your Twitter Account
- If you are using a computer, open your regular web browser and go to www.twitter.com by typing the link in the address bar or clicking the link on this page.
- After that, you should log in to your account using your private information. If you’re having trouble logging in to your account, you can visit Twitter’s Password Reset page.
- Step 2) Click on the Twitter profile picture in the top right corner of the page
Once logged in, you’ll see tweets, mentions, and retweets on your timeline from the people you follow.
In the upper right corner of the screen, if you have a profile picture, it shouldn’t appear blank, and you’ll see your icon. Click this icon to view Twitter’s classic drop-down menu.
- Step 3) From the menu and select the “Settings and Privacy” tab.
- Click the circular icon in the top right corner of the page, and the pop-up menu will appear.
- From here, you can click the ‘Settings and Privacy‘ section to continue changing your username.
- Step 4) Edit Twitter Name as You Want
There is not much to explain on this topic. Open the required area and change your user name as desired. Don’t forget that this name will be specified for your Twitter URL and it’ll stay that way.
However, if the new ID you typed has already been taken, Twitter initiates a red notification to notify you.
You should try another handle until green text appears. This green text will tell you that your new username is appropriate.
- Step 5) Click ‘Save Changes.’
Once you’ve selected your new username, scroll to the bottom of the page and click ‘Save Changes.’ If the system requires you to enter your password, write it down. After that, your new name is determined.
You can now use your account with your new nickname. For changes made in different IP addresses, mail or mobile verification can be requested for security reasons.
When you encounter this situation, you can check the incoming mail and follow the steps and complete the process. It is a very useful security measure for your security measurements.
Are There Any Restrictions About Twitter Handles?
Yes, there are some fixed restrictions on Twitter usernames, let’s take a look at them.
- Your Twitter ID cannot be longer than 15 characters.
- You cannot use hyphens in your user name, but you can use underscores.
- The user name of a suspended or disabled account cannot be requested.
- The Twitter name cannot contain words such as “Twitter” and “Admin” because these words are specific to Twitter authorities.
Can You Change Shown Twitter Name?
There are several reasons you might want to change your regular username on Twitter.
However, for whatever reason, this is a very simple process and can be done in just a few seconds. We will give full details of the name change process on Twitter.
If you’re renewing Twitter and don’t know how to change your Twitter name or username, learn here.
This is a step-by-step process. Each step is described in detail and is very simple.
- Step 1) Log in to Your Twitter Account
- First, log in to your Twitter account by opening it on any browser. It will ask you to enter your username and password. You can also replace the user name with your e-mail or phone number.
- Then click the login button, and it will take you to the Twitter home page.
- Step 2) Go to Your Profile
The next step is to go to your profile.
You can do this by clicking on your profile picture icon. It is located on the right side of the screen.
- Step 3) Start Editing Your Profile Information
On your Twitter profile, click Edit Profile on the right side of the screen to start altering your profile information.
- Step 4) Change Your Name
- Just below your profile photo, there is the field for your Twitter name.
- Add the name you want and when complete, click the Save Changes button on the right side of the screen.
This is it! You have changed your name successfully.
If you failed to do so, you should check the Twitter guideline.
In the Edit Your Profile section, you can also change your profile photo, change your biography, your location, and a few other things personalize your account to its true and raw potential.
Thank you for reading this article! What are you using right now as your Twitter handle and name?
Let us know right down in the comments, we love to hear from you.